The exterior of a house can often be overlooked when it comes to decluttering and organizing. However, a well-organized outdoor space can greatly enhance your home’s curb appeal and create a welcoming environment for outdoor activities.
Revitalizing Your Home’s Open Air Living Space
The exterior areas of a house – the yard, porch, patio, garden shed, and even outdoor kitchens – can often be the unsung heroes of a well-appointed home. While indoor clutter can be a nuisance, a disorganized outdoor space can hinder the full enjoyment and utilization of your home’s open-air living areas. Whether your outdoor space is a minimalist city terrace or a sprawling country garden, let’s unlock its potential with systematic decluttering and organization.
Step 1: Planning and Preparation
Begin by considering your outdoor areas’ function, size, and seasonal changes. What do you envision for the space – a tranquil reading nook, a lively children’s play area, or perhaps an entertainers’ paradise? Having a clear picture will help guide your decluttering process. Arm yourself with necessary supplies such as large trash bags, storage containers, and consider some handy organization tools such as garden tool organizers, outdoor furniture covers, and deck storage boxes.
If you’d like help developing your outdoor plan or want to learn how The Personal Helpers can help you achieve you reach your goals, visit our home organization services page.
Step 2: The Decluttering Process
Follow this detailed guide to bring order to your outdoor spaces:
Garden Tools and Equipment:
- Sort and Store: Collect all garden tools and equipment. Discard or repair any that are damaged. Store the rest using an organized system such as a garden tool rack or a shed, if available. For in-depth tips, consider this guide on organizing your garden shed.
- Assess and Clean: Inspect your outdoor furniture. If it’s worn out, doesn’t serve your needs, or doesn’t match your outdoor decor, it may be time to replace it. Clean all furniture thoroughly using appropriate cleaners for each type of material. Cover pieces when not in use to prolong their life.
- Evaluate and Organize: Review all outdoor decorations. Consider their appropriateness for the current season and overall decor theme. Store seasonal items properly to prevent damage and keep your outdoor areas clutter-free.
- Check and Store: Go through all recreational equipment like pool toys, sports equipment, or barbecue grills. Clean them and store them in suitable weatherproof containers such as a patio storage box or a storage bench.
Step 3: Maintenance
Maintaining an organized exterior requires some regular effort.
- After-Use Cleanup: Each time you use outdoor furniture or equipment, clean it and put it back in its designated place. Teach all family members to clean and return outdoor items to their designated places after each use.
- Seasonal Check and Clean: At the end of each season, clean your outdoor spaces thoroughly. Store seasonal items, clean the area, and prepare the space for the upcoming season’s activities.
- Regular Tidying: Set aside time each week for a quick tidy-up of your outdoor spaces. This can include tasks like sweeping the patio, cleaning outdoor furniture, or putting away stray items.
By decluttering and organizing your outdoor spaces, you can enhance the enjoyment and functionality of your home’s open-air living areas. Not only can this boost your home’s curb appeal, but it can also provide an inviting space for relaxation, play, or entertaining guests.
Interested in other areas of the house? Read our other decluttering guides for exterior spaces outside the home: such as the office, the car, shed, pool area, or our ultimate guide to decluttering and organizing every area of your house.
Interested in working with us?