The bathroom, often a small but heavily used space, needs regular decluttering to maintain its functionality and appeal. Whether it’s a compact powder room or a large master bath with luxurious amenities, an organized bathroom is key to a relaxed and efficient daily routine.
Declutter Every Part of Your Bathroom
The bathroom may be one of the smallest rooms in the house, but it’s also one that can accumulate clutter quickly. From half-empty shampoo bottles to expired medications, the accumulation of these items can turn a space meant for relaxation and self-care into a source of stress. Having an organized bathroom can streamline your morning routine and transform your daily rituals into moments of serenity.
In this blog post, we’ll guide you through the steps to declutter your bathroom, giving practical tips and easy-to-implement strategies. Let’s declutter, organize, and transform your bathroom into a personal spa-like retreat, where each item serves a purpose, and there’s a place for everything. Say goodbye to clutter and hello to a peaceful, organized space that serves you!
Step 1: Planning and Preparation
Begin by evaluating your bathroom’s layout, size, and style. Is it a minimalist modern design or a classic vintage style? Does it include special amenities like a Jacuzzi or bidet? Your decluttering and organizing approach should align with these factors.
For this task, you’ll need sorting boxes, trash bags, cleaning supplies, and organizational tools like towel racks, drawer organizers, shelf liners, over-the-door storage, and shower caddies.
Step 2: The Decluttering Process
Following a systematic process can make decluttering more manageable. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
Vanity and Cabinets:
- Empty and Clean: Remove everything from your vanity or cabinets, then clean the inside thoroughly.
- Sort and Discard: Dispose of any expired products or items you no longer use. For those with a large makeup collection, it’s crucial to discard anything beyond its shelf life.
- Organize: Return the items you are keeping, grouping similar items together. Drawer dividers or small storage bins can help compartmentalize different items.
- Clear and Clean: Remove all products from your shower or bathtub area. Clean the surfaces well, especially if you have a Jacuzzi with jets that need special attention.
- Discard Empty or Unused Items: You likely don’t need ten different kinds of shampoo or body wash at once. Keep what you’re currently using and store, donate, or discard the rest.
- Organize: Use a shower caddy or shelving to store your shower essentials. For Jacuzzis, consider a bath caddy that spans the width of the tub for your bath products.
- Clean: Clean the toilet thoroughly, including less visible areas. If you have a bidet, ensure it’s also clean and functioning properly.
- Organize: Keep necessary items like toilet paper and cleaning supplies nearby. A toilet paper holder or over-the-toilet storage can be a great space-saving solution.
Decor and Towels:
- Evaluate Decor: Keep the decor minimal and functional in a bathroom. It helps maintain a clutter-free, serene environment.
- Sort and Store Towels: If you store towels in the bathroom, organize them by size or usage. Consider using a towel rack or a storage basket.
Step 3: Maintenance
Maintaining a clutter-free bathroom involves regular upkeep.
- Daily Check: Take a couple of minutes each day to ensure everything is in its place.
- Weekly Cleaning: Do a thorough cleaning of your bathroom every week.
- Seasonal Deep Clean: Once every few months, do a deep cleaning and decluttering session. Check the expiry dates of your products and dispose of those that have expired.
By maintaining a decluttered and organized bathroom, you’ll create a relaxing and efficient space that can significantly improve your daily routines.
Interested in other areas of the house? Read our other decluttering guides for primary living spaces: the bedroom, living room, dining room, kitchen, closets, or our ultimate guide to decluttering and organizing every area of your house.
Interested in working with us?